DeRe:bian and IBM xSeries 336 8676-71x - LSI 53C1030 SCSI controller

Hello,

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1800 with Lsi Scsi controleur like you for 5
disks. I just install Sarge rc1 and recompile the kernel 2.4.27 and it's
works. I just had to re-install one time to make it proper.On Woody you
can find the Iso install with Scsi support and Sata but I when I compile a
new kernel it don't work.

http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/LNX/Debian+on+Dell+Servers?focusedCommentId=2919&decorator=printable

With Sarge kernel 2.6 after first reboot, the system hang "Clock timer..."
so I try with option "linux sym53c8xx=safe" and you can install the Sarge
and reboot the system.
After that I download the kernel source of 2.4.27 "apt-get install
kernel-source-2.4.27" and recompile it.

# make dep
# make-kpkg clean
# make-kpkg -rev=kernel1.0 kernel_image
# dpkg -i ../kernel-imagexxxxxx.deb             (Don't make Initrd Ramdisk
image).

after that Grub is set to use the new kernel and in the
/boot/grub/menu.lst just had the path of the initrd file of the original
Sarge kernel to the fresh one. reboot and it works!

If you want to use Woody and not Sarge juste put in the initrd of the
Sarge kernel 2.4.26.xxx and I think it will work too.

@+
Edo...