Re: KDE, GNOME, too intrusive for me !! Any alternatives ?

Bob,

If you install a KDE or GNOME application, its dependencies will also
include the libraries that it requires. However, there is no
requirement that the KDE or GNOME desktop manager must take over your
machine.

Go ahead and use olvwm or any of the other window managers that Debian
packages, and the GNOME or KDE applications will still run just fine,
without all the cruft and extra stuff.

I tried twm, but I prefer olvwm because that was the first GUI that I
used on SunOS4 on a Sparc2, my first Unix. It's my "lean and mean"
choice on relatively under-powered machines like my 350MHz K5 laptop
with 128MB and a 4Gig HD. It's a great laptop, and runs well with the
latest 2.6 kernel, but I can really tell the difference when running
KDE. The system is simply busy with lots of things unrelated to what
I want to do. I'm very happy that I can turn things OFF. Turning
things OFF is a feature that Microsoft does not include in anything
they make.

It is the very diversity of window managers and applications that
gives the Linux environment such an unbeatable edge over proprietary
systems. Debian's greatest strength is that all this diversity can
play well together.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001