cdrom disappearing, was Re: jackd trouble

Henry Hollenberg wrote:
Jan C. Nordholz wrote:

and I can't seem to get my cdrom to play any music anymore to test sound that way.
The gnome-cd app just says "Drive Error".

It works fine when I boot with my 2.4.26 kernel...ide-scsi and such...

ide-scsi is deprecated in 2.6, and the CD drives should use the ide-cd
driver now (check your kernel config in the ATA/... section for IDE CD
support). Can you mount data CDs?

Nope, couldn't find the cd device anymore....I tried to load the ide-cd
module earlier today and it threw and error....

but now of course it loads fine and I have all sorts of CD's available
in /dev

What did you change that it's running now?

modprobe ide-cd
ibm t40 laptop running testing 2.6.8 kernel

Added ide-cd to /etc/modules and don't seem to be getting it loaded and the devices made
when I check /dev

If I run modprobe ide-cd there they are.

I checked dmesg and it looks like they are getting loaded and then unloaded for some reason.
Maybe a SCSI conflict?  I have diabled ide-scsi at kernel compile time.

dmesg:
<snip>
hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
<snip>
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49453 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded
SCSI subsystem initialized
NET: Registered protocol family 17

Any clues? hgh.