Re: jackd trouble

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 1906, somebody named Henry Hollenberg inscribed
> $ jackd -d alsa
>
> still gives me alot of
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.398 msecs
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 9.354 msecs
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 64.750 msecs
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 59.304 msecs
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 4.890 msecs

Try increasing the -p and/or -n flags, and/or using --softmode.  'man
jackd' will explain these options in more detail. :^)  I use something
along the lines of

jackd -d alsa -r 44100 -n 3 -p2048 --softmode

which generally gives a minimum of xruns under general usage.  (Athlon
1800+, only 256MB ram :( )

I've found that a handy way to test for sound output is with xmms's jackd
output plugin.  I also find qjackctl to be rather useful for
monitoring/configing/etc. jackd.  It gives a nice interface to start and
stop the daemon, a message console, patchbay, and will save multiple
configurations for quick recall. :^)

NRH
--
Statistics are no substitute for judgment.  - Henry Clay