Re: jackd trouble

Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
and I can't seem to get my cdrom to play any music anymore to test sound that way.
The gnome-cd app just says "Drive Error".

It works fine when I boot with my 2.4.26 kernel...ide-scsi and such...

ide-scsi is deprecated in 2.6, and the CD drives should use the ide-cd
driver now (check your kernel config in the ATA/... section for IDE CD
support). Can you mount data CDs?

Nope, couldn't find the cd device anymore....I tried to load the ide-cd
module earlier today and it threw and error....

but now of course it loads fine and I have all sorts of CD's available
in /dev

What did you change that it's running now?

modprobe ide-cd

and I can mount and read a CD, still can't play one though....tried
gnome-cd and alsaplayer

Hmmm... I don't remember exactly how those CD playing utilities are working,
but I guess they need to access the raw disk device (because CDDA-compliant
CDs don't have any form of partition table)... /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd (which
normally are your CD drives, if you have connected them to the secondary
IDE bus) are mode 660 root:cdrom here - try adding yourself to the group
cdrom or playing CDs as root... does that work?
If it doesn't, please elaborate a bit on the errors you're getting from
gnome-cd and alsaplayer...

I'm tapping my foot as root!

I already added myself to the audio group awhile back, but never had to add
myself to the cdrom group before.  I added myself to the group cdrom buy that
didn't seem to help.  The device listed in gnome-cd preferences is /dev/cdrom.

Here is the top of the dev:

opie:/home/hgh# ls -l /dev
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root        13 Feb 15 16:04 MAKEDEV -> /sbin/MAKEDEV
crw-rw----  1 root audio  14,  12 Feb 15 16:04 adsp
crw-rw----  1 root video  10, 175 Feb 15 16:04 agpgart
crw-rw----  1 root root   10, 134 Feb 15 16:04 apm_bios
crw-rw----  1 root audio  14,   4 Feb 15 16:04 audio
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root         3 Feb 15 18:24 cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root         4 Feb 15 16:04 cdrw -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root         3 Feb 15 18:24 cdrw1 -> hdc
crw-rw----  1 root root    5,   1 Feb 15 16:04 console
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root        11 Feb 15 16:04 core -> /proc/kcore
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root        60 Feb 15 16:04 dri
crw-rw----  1 root audio  14,   3 Feb 15 16:04 dsp
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root         3 Feb 15 18:24 dvd -> hdc
crw-rw----  1 root video  29,   0 Feb 15 16:04 fb0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root        13 Feb 15 16:04 fd -> /proc/self/fd
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root    1,   7 Feb 15 16:04 full
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   0 Feb 15 16:04 hda
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   1 Feb 15 16:04 hda1
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   2 Feb 15 16:04 hda2
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   3 Feb 15 16:04 hda3
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   4 Feb 15 16:04 hda4
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   5 Feb 15 16:04 hda5
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   6 Feb 15 16:04 hda6
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   7 Feb 15 16:04 hda7
brw-rw----  1 root disk    3,   8 Feb 15 16:04 hda8
brw-rw----  1 root cdrom  22,   0 Feb 15 18:24 hdc
crw-rw----  1 root root   10, 183 Feb 15 16:04 hw_random
prw-------  1 root root         0 Feb 15 16:04 initctl
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       160 Feb 15 16:04 input
crw-r-----  1 root kmem    1,   2 Feb 15 16:04 kmem
crw-rw----  1 root root    1,  11 Feb 15 16:04 kmsg
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root         0 Feb 15 16:04 log
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root        60 Feb 15 16:04 loop
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root        40 Feb 15 16:04 mapper
crw-r-----  1 root kmem    1,   1 Feb 15 16:04 mem
crw-rw----  1 root audio  14,   0 Feb 15 16:04 mixer

sleep well!

Thank you - it was short, but has to be enough.

Jan

--
Henry Hollenberg
hgh@rcwm.com