Re: debian on domain clients ?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:43:36PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> I don't recommend apt-proxy. I haven't looked at it lately, but when I
> did it was terribly slow and much more complicated to set up. I think if
> you have at least ten clients which need updates, a local mirror is
> reasonable. BTW, with apt-move you can set up filtering rules to sort
> out packages you know you'll never use.

Well, I haven't used apt-move, but I do use apt-proxy and it's not too
hard to set up. You set up /etc/apt-proxy/apt-proxy.conf with the
names of the real apt sources, like this:

# Debian main
#deb http://APTPROXY:9999/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb http://APTPROXY:9999/debian woody main contrib non-free

add_backend /debian/					\
	$APT_PROXY_CACHE/debian/			\
	http://http.us.debian.org/debian/		\
	http://http.de.debian.org/debian/		\
	http://http.uk.debian.org/debian/

# Debian non-US
#deb http://APTPROXY:9999/non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb http://APTPROXY:9999/non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

add_backend /non-US/					\
	$APT_PROXY_CACHE/non-US/			\
	http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US			\
	http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/		\
	http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-non-US/

The commented-out deb lines are the lines you put in
/etc/apt/sources.list on the clients, with APTPROXY replaced by the
name of the apt-proxy server machine, to replace the original entries,
like this:

# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://aptproxyserver:9999/debian stable main contrib non-free

# deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://aptproxyserver:9999/non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

...and then it just works. The only thing you have to watch is to be
punctilious about getting the / and \ characters right :-)

I do find it slow, but I've got the cache on a bunch of very slow old
hard drives, and that seems to be what limits it.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons