xemacs segfaults under X11 since recent update

I'm running a mostly woody system with lots of sarge packages.
Recently, I did a massive update and xemacs21-21.4.16-1 (the sarge
version) suddenly stopped working.  When running under X11, it crashes
on startup with a segfault, but `xemacs -nw' works normally.  The
crash still happens with the -vanilla option, so it's not related to
my init.el file.

There are several similar bugs reported in the database, some quite
old, but I have not been able to figure out any work-around.  I tried
installing the unstable version, but that made no difference.  I'm
heavily addicited to certain xemacs key sequences, so using GNU emacs
is driving me crazy.

I tried updating all my X11 fonts, though it's hard to locate all of
them.  Maybe I missed something.  I've been unable to get a core dump,
even with `ulimit -c unlimited'.  Running with strace suggests that
the crash comes on an ioctl, probably to the X11 socket.

  ioctl(5, 0x5309 <unfinished ...>
  +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Any clues or pointers would be most appreciated.  I'd really rather
not have to build xemacs from scratch.

[Please copy me on any replies, I'm not currently subscribed.]
--
  joq