Re: apt upgrade has "unresolvable dependencies"

On Friday 11 Feb 2005 02:43, Robert Vangel wrote:

> Edward C. Jones wrote:

> > I am using Debian sid on a 386 architecture. I tried to upgrade
> > apt 0.5.28.1 to 0.5.28.2 using synaptic. I get a message about
> > unresolvable dependencies:
> >
> > apt:
> >  Depends: libgcc1 >= 1:4.0 but 1:3.4.3-9 is to be installed
> >
> > My system already has libgcc1 1:3.4.3-9 installed. I am new at
> > Debian so I ask naively: What does one do in situations like
> > this?
>
> It means that apt required libgcc1-4.0 or later, but currently on
> your system 3.4.3-9 is installed.

I have exactly the same problem, using aptitude.

The required version of libgcc1 is in Experimental, along with the
rest of gcc 4.0.

> Try `apt-get install libgcc1' on its own and report back what you
> get.

I get this:

[/home/pjr]# apt-get install libgcc1
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
libgcc1 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.

apt-utils is also marked as broken by aptitude because of the same
broekn dependency.

Holding apt and apt-utils at their current version ought to allow you
to upgrade other packages. Alternatively, do nothing until the
problem is resolved.

I don't believe apt is intended to depend on libgcc1 4.0 while 3.3 is
still the default for Sid. It looks like an error in specifying the
correct dependencies for the packages. If so I'd expect it to be
fixed pretty soon.

--
PJR :-)