Re: mplayer does not work

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 18:00 -0500, Alvin Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 10 February 2005 05:38 pm, Lan User wrote:

> > > Recently mplayer and saytime stopped working when KDE is
> > > running.  I use GDM, so after I log out saytime begins to

> > > KDE system sounds work.
> > > XMMS does not work.
> > > Kaffeine works.

> > Try shutting off the KDE sound server.
>
> With the KDE sound system disabled saytime and mplayer work while KDE is
> running, but KDE system sounds and notifications do not.

mplayer can be set to use the KDE sound server (arts). Run it with
"mplayer -ao arts <filename>" or edit ~/.mplayer/config so that it
contains:
ao=arts

I have no idea whether saytime supports arts, but I do know that arts
can shut itself down after a certain amount of inactivity (don't ask me
where the setting for that is), which would free up the sound device for
other programs.

-Mark