Two programs or more using the sound system [was: mplayer does not work]

--- Mark Roach <mrroach@okmaybe.com> wrote:

> > > Try shutting off the KDE sound server.
> >
> > With the KDE sound system disabled saytime and mplayer work while KDE is
> > running, but KDE system sounds and notifications do not.
>
> mplayer can be set to use the KDE sound server (arts). Run it with
> "mplayer -ao arts <filename>" or edit ~/.mplayer/config so that it
> contains:
> ao=arts
>
> I have no idea whether saytime supports arts, but I do know that arts
> can shut itself down after a certain amount of inactivity (don't ask me
> where the setting for that is), which would free up the sound device for
> other programs.
>
> -Mark

Yea, when I have xmms running, nothing else can output any sound at all. I disabled arts because
of this. I need my mp3s ;)
Is there a way to have two or more programs sharing the sound system? ie hearing the sound or a
movie on mplayer and system notifications? Or xmms and a flash movie in Mozilla? Or am I shooting
for the moon here?
OSS drivers or ALSA: does it matter? I have both installed for my sound card. So I can use either.

Thx,
ib