Re: growisofs DVD burn errors

On Thursday 10 February 2005 03:13 pm, Hamster wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:40:04 -0500
>
> Brian Pack <afcpack@verizon.net> wrote:
> > > When the burn starts, growisofs is reporting the speed as 8.2x
> > > instead of 8x. I get decimals no matter what speed I choose (i.e.
> > > 6.1x when I want 6x). Tried three different brands with the same
> > > results. I found some other reports of similar incidents when doing
> > > a search.
> > >
> > > The discs burned at 8.2x give all appearance of being fine, but they
> > > are corrupt. They will play for a time, but they will hit spots
> > > where they will either seize up or go into an endless loop. I tried
> > > two different burners (memorex and io/magic, both DL drives) and
> > > updated the firmware on each. Still getting errors.
>
> Hi,
>
> Found this message in the archives, and wanted to let you know you're
> not the only one.
>
> I'm using stock debian kernels, but it's a hit an miss affair as to
> whether a CD I burn (yes I realise you were talking about DVDs, but I've
> hit the same problem with CDs) is readable or not.
>
> Just like you, it works fine under windows.
>
> I've even switched to plain old cdrecord to burn the CDs, but it makes
> no difference. I'm assuming its something to do with the kernel and the
> burning process?
>
> I'm going to plonk another distro on and see if the same thing happens
> there too.

I've installed Ubuntu Hoary on this system, and haven't had problems @ 8x in
the few tries I've made so far. I'm using a 2.6.10 kernel and the same apps
as before (k3b, growisofs, dvd+r-tools). Since some of these come under the
'Universe' repository, they're almost a mirror of Sid.

I'm willing to bet that if I were to put a fresh install of Sid back here, I
wouldn't have problems burning. I think something got scrambled during a
dist-upgrade.