Re: growisofs DVD burn errors

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:40:04 -0500
Brian Pack <afcpack@verizon.net> wrote:

> > When the burn starts, growisofs is reporting the speed as 8.2x
> > instead of 8x. I get decimals no matter what speed I choose (i.e.
> > 6.1x when I want 6x). Tried three different brands with the same
> > results. I found some other reports of similar incidents when doing
> > a search.
> >
> > The discs burned at 8.2x give all appearance of being fine, but they
> > are corrupt. They will play for a time, but they will hit spots
> > where they will either seize up or go into an endless loop. I tried
> > two different burners (memorex and io/magic, both DL drives) and
> > updated the firmware on each. Still getting errors.

Hi,

Found this message in the archives, and wanted to let you know you're
not the only one.

I'm using stock debian kernels, but it's a hit an miss affair as to
whether a CD I burn (yes I realise you were talking about DVDs, but I've
hit the same problem with CDs) is readable or not.

Just like you, it works fine under windows.

I've even switched to plain old cdrecord to burn the CDs, but it makes
no difference. I'm assuming its something to do with the kernel and the
burning process?

I'm going to plonk another distro on and see if the same thing happens
there too.