Re: Understanding voip and NAT

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> I would like to set up a system to communicate via voice from my Debian Linux
> PC on my local lan - via a NAT D-link 604 broadband router to the net, to my
> daughter running Windows XP  - behind a NAT wireless router (Linksys WRT54G)
> - which she shares with some friends at University.

> It would also be nice, but not as essential, to also add my wife's Win98SE
> computer (also on the same LAN as my PC) into this communication system, with
> one on one, or conference calling.

> I have a spare linux server on this network to run some form of server etc.

One option - if you "reasonably trust" all the machines in your network -
is to create a virtual private network between all three machines. For
convenience you could use your gnu/linux server as an endpoint. I use
OpenVPN for exactly this purpose and it just works fine.

Once you have the VPN created, you can use iptables to determine which
ports (port ranges) you want to permit/deny.

Chris