Understanding voip and NAT

I would like to set up a system to communicate via voice from my Debian Linux
PC on my local lan - via a NAT D-link 604 broadband router to the net, to my
daughter running Windows XP  - behind a NAT wireless router (Linksys WRT54G)
- which she shares with some friends at University.

It would also be nice, but not as essential, to also add my wife's Win98SE
computer (also on the same LAN as my PC) into this communication system, with
one on one, or conference calling.

I have a spare linux server on this network to run some form of server etc.

My local D-Link router has uPnP capability, and I can freely adjust which
ports are forwarded to which IP address inside my LAN.  I "think" (but I am
not 100% sure) that I get my daughter to adjust the routing of her NAT router
if necessary.

I have been trying to read how to do this, but everything seems to assume that
you already know all about what they are talking about.  Could someone who
does understand it, give me some recommendations about what I should read
about.

I think that I probably need some form of SIP server (to enable both my sofe
and myself to have independent addresses) which I can put on my debian server
on the LAN side of my router.  Debian seems to have two possibilities
(siproxyd and asterisk) for this, but I can't find anywhere that makes this
100% clear, or tells me which one I really should use. (The biggest problem
seems to be NAT traversal)

In terms of a client, I was thinking of using KPhone (since I already run KDE)
on my Linux PC, and am looking around for something for the Windows machines.
Xten seems a possibility - but then I got confused since it seems to only
have a number dial interface and I couldn't see how that fitted with the
servers.
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk