Re: Fisher-Price, err, KDE (was Re: (OT) Re: GNOME is f*cked seven ways from Sunday)

Nicos Gollan wrote:
On Thursday February 10 2005 04:24, Ron Johnson wrote:

I'd really like to use KDE again (I used it up until v2.2.1, and
when I moved to Debian, it was broken), and have tested it occasion-
ally, but, *IMO*, it looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price.

I second that. The KDE themes (like most things that run for theme today) are
way too "fluffy", with rounded corners, gradients and highlights everywhere
and stuff. What I'd really like is something resembling parts of the Windows
XP design (*not* window decorations!), like menus which are nicely designed
with an offset border for the icons and a high-contrast selection marker. It
really pays to have fulltime designers sometimes, even if they're coming up
with Luna every once in a while. And mark my words, Luna is an Abomination
unto Nuggan.

KDE (as is GNOME) is trying to push into the main stream.  Since the
vast majority of users today have previous Windows experience, they
mostly want something that is familiar (i.e., like Windows).  Besides,
there are alternative themes, or you can design your own.

In short, I want an interface that gets me paper cuts when touching the
monitor ;-)

There is always twm :-)

-Roberto

--