Re: NIS client?

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 01:02:02AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> Sure. The author of the nis.debian.howto, which is me.

Ah! Heh. Pestering target acquired!

I'm going to futz around some more this evening, after work. I managed to
get an old(ish) infrastructure box to authenticate via NIS, but that was
using telnetd, which I hadn't tried on the two other boxes. My initial
belief is that telnetd will authenticate via PAM like any other app-
lication, but I'll test this belief tonight. My immediate need is for KDM
to properly authenticate against NIS.

Incidentally, to get telnetd to authenticate against NIS, I didn't have to
do anything special... I made a single modification to nsswitch.conf,
adding nis as a source, and that was it. I'll try to educate myself a bit
regarding how PAM works, I guess.

I'll report back after another round of it.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss     mason@blisses.org       They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;     http://blisses.org/     only stand on waves.