Re: Using aptitude non-interactively

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:39:00, Deepak, R. wrote:
> I want to run aptitude in the background and install xserver-xfree86. So I
> do:
>     aptitude --assume-yes install xserver-xfree86
> Then I <Ctrl-Z> and use "bg".
>
> There are two problems:
> 1. It continues printing the percentage completed.
Try
    aptitude --assume-yes install xserver-xfree86 >/dev/null 2>&1 &

That should send all output on stdin and stderr to /dev/null, and send it to the
background.

> 2. How do I get it to ask the configuration questions at a later time?
    dpkg-reconfigure <package-name>

You'll have to do that for each dependency individually, unfortunately.

 -Ben

--
Termisoc Secretary: http://www.termisoc.org/
Home Page: http://benalee.co.uk/