Re: Font question

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:51:47PM -0600, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:
Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but without a beginner's list
I'm feeling like this is the right place.

I'm running Debian unstable and I want to add some fonts, specifically
I'd like to find a package of precollected typical TrueType fonts like
Times New Roman and the such.

Every HOW-TO I run into on the topic either addresses Fedora, or was
written in or before 2000.

Can anyone point me towards either an apt-get installable package, or a
current set of instructions for how this works?

It sounds like you want the MS TrueType core fonts for the web. The msttcorefonts package is what you are looking for. It should install most of the standard fonts (other than Tahoma) that you are used to. apt-cache indicates that this package is in the contrib repository:

scblock@leviathan:~$ wajig policy msttcorefonts
msttcorefonts:
 Installed: 1.2
 Candidate: 1.2
 Version Table:
*** 1.2 0
       500 http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages

If contrib is not in your packages list in /etc/apt/sources.list you will have to add it, e.g. change

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib

If you are not running Sarge (testing) or Sid (unstable), then your milage may vary. I don't know if this package is available for woody or not.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/