Quickbooks Pro on Linux Server - or NFS vs SMBFS vs CIFS

I had this problem before - worked around it, and now it's back.

Given a Debian unstable server with latest versions of NFS3 and Samba3 -
and Linux workstations running WINE, or some derivative thereof:

What should I use for filesharing?

When I use NFS, I have problems where anytime a file is opened by Quickbooks, the file gets written to and both ownership and rights changes (the rights change to rw/user, r-only group&other). At that point, it becomes difficult or impossible for other locations to open the data file. The mount line used for NFS is:

amy:/data /data nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,tcp,intr,suid 0 0

When I use SMBFS - I get "unable to write" errors from Quickbooks and can't get anywhere.

The CIFS line works - but now it appears no locking occurs - the control file that Quickbooks uses to control access get created by the first user - then deleted by the second.

//amy/QBD /q cifs suid,exec,credentials=/etc/samba/mount.cred,uid=amiller,gid=domusers,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

The mount.cred file contains the user/pass and both the mount.cred file and the uid are set appropriately for each workstation's default user.

Does anyone see something I've obviously overlooked?

Daniel