Re: NIS client?

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

In article <[🔎] 20050207082042.GE24873@assata>,
matze  <matze@indymedia.org> wrote:
-=-=-=-=-=-

El Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 07:43:05PM -0500 Mason Loring Bliss ha dit:

I'm trying to integrate a couple Debian NIS clients into a network that has
been running for a while. The master NIS server is a NetBSD box.

KDM sees NIS-based account names, and as root I can ypcat master.passwd.byname
which shows my DES hashes, but I'm not clear on how to actually get PAM to
authenticate using this.
never worked with NIS in real life, but afaik there's no need to
modify the PAM configuration. configuring NSS should be enough:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         compat nis
group:          compat nis
shadow:         compat nis
I believe that's supposed to be:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         files nis
group:          files nis
shadow:         files nis

Because the "compat" mode is not supported?

Daniel