Re: "Local" apt-get?

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 01:22:31PM -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:
> Is there any way to coax apt-get to install packages in $HOME?

This doesn't work, but it might get you headed in the right
direction...  apt-get doesn't have such a command-line option, but
dpkg does.  What you could do is use apt-get to download the packages,
then dpkg to install them.  It would go something like this:

apt-get -d install somepackage
dpkg -i --root=/home/kynn /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

One problem is that this assumes that you have permissions for
/var/cache/apt/archives.  Looking at the apt-get man page, you could
use "-o Dir::Cache::Archives" to set a different archive directory.
Looks like another problem (I'm attempting this now) is that it
assumes you have permissions for the dpkg lock file
/var/lib/dpkg/lock.  I'm not sure how you'd tell apt-get to tell dpkg
to use a different lock file...

Jason