Re: problem

On Monday 07 February 2005 18:50, jina menke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 operating systems on my labtop: windows xp and debian. But I
> re-installed windows and since then windows automatically starts, so I
> cannot choose between debian and windows anymore (in my BIOS). How can I
> solve this problem? Should I run a Debian Boot from somewhere?
>
> I would just like to have the option to choose between windows and debian.

The first block on your hard disk contains the "mbr".  The first stage of
bootstrap that then loads the rest of your operating system is installed
there.

What has happened is that windows has overwritten it.

What you can do to set it back to what ever you had before (lilo?) is to boot
linux from a floppy, mount you hard disk partition with linux root on it and
then chroot into it.  Re-run lilo with the correct command to re-install the
mbr (I don't have the instructions to hand).

If you used grub its more complicated, but a similar approach.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk