Re: "Local" apt-get?

On Monday 07 February 2005 18:22, kynn@panix.com wrote:
> Is there any way to coax apt-get to install packages in $HOME?

I think it doesn't take much thought to reaslise that would be a no no from a
security angle.  Or if not, then much would be broken.

> The situation is this: requests for package installs for the system I
> use at work sometime take weeks.  Plus about half of the packages I
> want installed I will decide not to use any more after I try them out,
> so I feel bad about pestering our overworked sysadmin about them.
>
> What I have done in the past is to download the *.deb files for the
> desired package and its dependencies, and do a "manual" install on
> $HOME, but this can be really tedious for packages that have a lot of
> dependencies.
>
> I suppose one solution may be to turn $HOME into a self-contained
> Debian (Knoppix?) system, and chroot $HOME, but this would entail *a
> lot* of duplicated software.

I still don't think you can do that without some level of root access.  There
are some instructions here - but they seem to imply either root access, or
login into another virtual terminal.  You don't say much about whether this
would be workable for you in your situation.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot

> Is there a better approach?

The other thought is to get your admins to set up

user-mode-linux (see debian package of that name).

for you.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk