Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

On 02/06/2005 05:42 pm, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> Hi, all! I'm trying to build a new kernel, and I'm having a Hell of a time
> getting it to see its root partition. I consistently see the message:
>
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I'm using 2.6.8 sources on Sarge/i386. I've got a Reiser3 filesystem in
> place. I've got support for ReiserFS built into the kernel, and not being
> built as a module. I am not using InitRD.

I assume you built your kernel the Debian way, that after you did 'make
config'  you did

make-kpkg clean

make-kpkg --revision=mykernel.01 kernel_image modules_image  (or something
very similar)

When you were done and you installed the resulting Debian files, 'update-grub'
should have been run for you.

If you did not use the Debian way of making the kernel and modules, you need
to manually run 'update-grub' after editing menu.lst.

What I suggest is that you boot to the kernel you installed before you
compiled your own and then run 'lsmod' so you can see which modules are being
used.  Then you will know what is needed to get your kernel to boot.

I had this problem on an older machine that required SCSI drivers in order to
boot, I had forgotten to compile them into the kernel when I stopped using
initrd on that machine.

--

8)

sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com