Re: Don't understand recording from microphone.

On Sunday 06 February 2005 12:21, Marcus Lundblad wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > Since I am running a kde environment, I fire up kmix, and from there can
> > control the microphone's feedback into the headphones.  I have it set so
> > when I say anything it is picked up by the microphone and played back to
> > me through the headphones.  I know kmix is controlling this because the
> > volume controls on input and output work, as does muting the microphone.
> >
> > However, when I run krecorder (or other similar apps that are supposed to
> > record the input from a sound source), no sound is recorded.  It appears
> > that nothing is getting through to the application - the vu meter shows
> > absolutely nothing.

> What kind of soundcard do you have? (maybe it's integrated on the
> mainboard).

SB Live - the ALSA module snd_em10ku is loaded

> I have VIA KM266 chipset with VIA82xx sound, and I also can not get
> recording to work. All I get is a humming static noise.
> Is your's totally silent?

The recording I make is - but note the comment above that sound is looped back
from microphone to output using kmix.

I think my problem is with the mixer and not understanding how to use it.  In
particular how the sound gets fed into the I/O device that krecord uses to
record from.  Or maybe its a permission problem or setup problem with the
device.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk