Re: Promise card conundrum : Woody (bf2.4)

On February 4, 2005 11:45 am, jim biri wrote:
> Promise Ultra ATA 133 TX2:
> The chipset for this card is PDC20269 (I know, I asked Promise):

I'm using one of these cards in my server.  Running Sarge, kernel is 2.4.26.
Works great.

It appears to be using the pdc202xx_new module.

> OK - I'm confused. I thought Sarge was still in testing, and was a 2.6
> kernel ...... sorry if I'm being dim. I've got bf2.4 Debian and I'm
> after getting this card working in that kernel ....

You can use either a 2.4 or 2.6 series kernel with Sarge.  What 2.4 kernel are
you running?  2.4.<what>?

> Well it sort of answers it, if you're referring to:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/26/2003/07/3/69151
>
> It means not using a stable version, but using an unstable version -
> which I'm not too keen on.

That page is pretty old.  It refers to 2.4.21 being unstable.  I'm up to
2.4.26, and 2.4.27 is available for whenever I get around to upgrading.

Bottom line: support for this card is going to depend more on the kernel than
on what distribution you're running.  I'm not a kernel or hardware guru, but
I *believe* that everything to do with the IDE controller card is all
contained within the kernel and modules.  If you can get a recent 2.4 kernel
running, IMHO you should be fine.

Hope that helps.
Jason