Re: cron-apt and security

You can setup cron-apt to send an email via exim:

§	1. Edit: /etc/cron-apt/config
·	Uncomment:
o	export PATH
o	ACTIONDIR
o	ERROR
o	Temp Log
o	MAIL
·	Add email address to MAILTO e.g. x@fred.com
·	Set MAILON to always
·	Ensure that all EXITON commands are commented out.  This means it
doesn't exit.
·	Set DEBUG=verbose

§	2. Edit: /etc/cron.d/cron-apt:
·	Leave settings as is i.e. to be run once a day at 4AM
·	Ammend the 4AM line so that: it ended with /etc/cron-apt/config
·	NOTES:
o	I initially set this up to be every hour, and ensured that the line
in this file ended with /etc/cron-apt/config and not
/etc/cron-apt/config2 – which the config file had for some weird
reason (probably to stop it continually being run).
o	It ran successfully every hour, then I updated it to run once per
day. I did alter the /etc/cron.d/cron-apt file setting for running
once per day so that it looked like all the other entries i.e. added
/etc/cron-apt/config onto the end of the hourly command – it seemed to
have that missing.
§	3. The cron job runs the following line:
·	test -x /usr/sbin/cron-apt && /usr/sbin/cron-apt /etc/cron-apt/config
§	4. Have a look at  /var/log/cron-apt/log to verify if anything happens.
·	Last time run at present: 14:26 Jan 17.
§	5. Once run, to upgrade packages that if finds, run: "apt-get upgrade"

Jim.