Re: Security and 2.6 kernel, security and sarge

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:06:44PM +0000, jim biri wrote:
> I have a machine with Woody bf2.4 kernel.
>
> I regularly get all updates using apt-get update/upgrade including all
> security updates. If I download a 2.6 kernel, will I still get
> security updates?

You will at least get the security updates of the stable packages you
are using.

If the 2.6 kernel image is the only package that you use from testing
or unstable you may be fine just checking manually if there is a new
version out. Subscribe to the Debian security mailing list to get
emails when a new security update is out:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/

Or edit some files in /etc/apt/ to get stable packages by default but
testing or unstable packages when you explicitly request them. See the
apt-how-to, specifically paragraphs 3.8 and 3.10:

/usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/apt-howto.en.html

or

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

> The reason I ask is that I know sarge is in testing, therefore "has no
> official support from Debian security team" - presumably this lack of
> official support also applies if I download and apply a 2.6 kernel?

Look at the security FAQ, specifically:
http://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing

Q: How is security handled for testing and unstable?

A: The short answer is: it's not. Testing and unstable are rapidly
moving targets and the security team does not have the resources
needed to properly support those. If you want to have a secure (and
stable) server you are strongly encouraged to stay with
stable. However, the security secretaries will try to fix problems in
testing and unstable after they are fixed in the stable release.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill