RE: Debian List for Idiot Debian Users - seriously.

Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 11:29 -0700, Tom Connolly wrote:
>> Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
>>>    There should be a Debian for idiots by idiots list;
>>> at least the rest of us (non-programmers, non-techies) could not
>>> feel superior to each other, and instead we would eventually get our
>>> legitimate questions answered in terms that we would understand.
>>>
>>>   Even the FM's are written by the experts for the
>>> experts who would never (so it would seem) consider
>>> that a mere, mud-treading mortal would ever aspire to
>>> using Debian.
>>>
>>>   I asked in this list, on numerous occassions, how to actually use
>>>   the "rescue" floppy. Every single advice I got did not work for
>>> me. I dutifully
>>> reported that, and so far no one could see me through the ordeal to
>>> a satisfactory end.
>>>
>>>   I, repeat, am serious about the Debian for Idiots
>>> list. How should I go about seeing one to materialize?
>>>
>>>   Deeply prostrating, in all awesomness respectful
>>>   Mr. Jan Hearthstone.
>>>

>> I think your idea is on the right track but first, you would have to
>> call it something other that "Debian List for Idiots" because that is
>> very condecending.  You would get a better reaction to
>> "debian-newbies" or "debian-beginners" or something like that. As for
>> the idea in general, I would subscribe.
>
> I believe, nobody would subscribed to it outside of Debian helpers
> and such, making it a YADML everyone would have to subscribe to. The
> Debian Newbies feel they aren't, as they came for "other" linux
> distributions therefore NOT being newbies. Some of them even feel
> obligated to post "Spot-On Debian-User" questions on Debian-Devel.
>
> So, this suggestion gets mentioned about once a month or two and it
> gets mulled over... and rejected, again and again.
>
> There are some valid points about a Newbie list, but many more that
> invalidate it. Such as the skill and knowledge of this list (albeit
> aggressive at times) far exceeds other mailing lists even here on/at
> Debian. Since D-U is required for Developer to be on, it only makes
> sense that there is no OTHER list. Plus, you get to read 10,000
> messages a week. What better benefit is there, than that! (maybe
> being on the LKML too (include me there) or the samba and exim lists
> too (include me there too))

I disagree.  I'm on the FreeBSD-Newbies list even though I'm not a
newbie.  I enjoy reading the questions because even newbies will come up
with things that I don't know the answers to.  In other words, I
continue to learn new things from this list all the time.  I find that
this is the case with many people and Mr. Jan Hearthstone was correct,
people tend to take more time there with their answers ane explanations.
I find that answers come several times per day as well.

> Sorry, there just is not enough time in the day to help yet another
> list... even if I did subscribe to it. Not to dismiss your idea(s)
> about it, but think about it: newbies helping newbies.
> Yeap, now you see my point.

If it would cut down on the amount of messages asked on the users list,
it would make it's own time.

> How long do you think it would take to get an answer (let alone
> answers) to configuring Exim v4 with Malware scanning, archive
> scanning, Amavisd, ACL with perl, SpamAssassin, RulesDuJour, CLAMAV,
> teargrubbing, SPF, multi-domain routing (with domain specific
> aliases), multi-virtual-domian hosting (with domain specific
> aliases), with Maildir delivery and/or procmail, maildrop or .forward
> support?

A newbies list would not be the correct forum to ask questions like this
in the first place. Mr. Jan Hearthstone simply needed an answer to "how
do I correctly use the rescue disk".  This is the kind of question that
should be asked on a newbies list.

Regards,

Tom