From: Ralph Katz [mailto:ralph.katz@rcn.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 1:02 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Program notifications, GAIM & Thunderbird

On 02/02/2005 11:40 PM, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:
> I've been running debian for servers for a short while now, but I'm
> finally trying to make a full switchover as my desktop OS on my
laptop.

> I'm pretty much hooked, but I have two nuisances which I'd greatly
like
> to solve. (Well 4 actually, but 2 which I'll address here)
>
> 1) When I get a GAIM message I want my panel icon for the message to
> flash until I address it. (Setting the Urgent hint does nothing for me

> in Gnome, and in KDE it only flashes a couple of times, and even that
> only when I select some aspect of GAIM)
>
> 2) I use Thunderbird for mail, and when I get a new message I want an
> obvious visual notification. A popup in the system tray (is there a
more
> appropriate linux name for it?) would be great. I noticed Gnome had a
> mail notification for my locally delivered mails... I'd be happy if I
> could tie this into Thunderbird too. Just some way to glance and see I

> have new mail without opening Thunderbird and scrolling up and down my

> folder list.
>
> I realize the answer to these, if there are any, probably are very
> different in KDE & Gnome or any other window mangaer for that matter,
> that I'll only say, I'm currently switching back and forth between KDE
&
> Gnome trying to decide which I prefer, so ideally I'd like to handle
> this in both systems.
>
> Thanks for any insights.

Hi Rob,

I use a much lighter desktop; gnome-settings-daemon, openbox window
manager and fspanel.  No need for GNOME overhead...  (This gives me a
very responsive platform on my old PIII 128 Mb Dell.)

1) GAIM  notifications are set within GAIM.

2) Thunderbird has its own new mail sound notification, but I use
gkrellm, gkrellm-mailwatch for sound and *visual* notification.  This
includes choice of animated notification and/or new message/total
message count and/or by mailbox.  For movemail (system mail), this is
particularly nice because a thunderbird bug prevents automatic mail
checks of /var/mail/user.

gkrellm-mailwatch is very configurable and should work with kde and
gnome.

Good luck!
Ralph