Re: Stupid newbie question...

Paul E Condon wrote:
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:12:51PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:

A good alternative is to run Windows under Linux.

VMWare is reported to run Windows under Linux at near native speed
(the converse is not the case tho)

QEmu creates a virtual machine too, and is open source.  Probably not
as good (yet) as VMWare.

I personally hate dual-boot.

I also hate dual boot, but VMWare is not Free Software, and I really
like Free as in speach. Dual boot is a safety precaution during the
transition to Free.
The issue is that some things simply do not have good free alternatives
yet.  I am confident that projects like Bochs, dosbox, wine  and others
will eventually catch up to the point where people can feel comfortable
using them as a stop gap.  However, sometimes you just have to bite the
bullet and use non-free software.  Virtualization is not the only area
where this true.  It will be some time before free software fills in the
gaps in the more specialized areas of software.

And expect to be told to go look for answers by Googleing. Yes, do your own
research, but when you don't know even the search terms to type into Google
here is the place to come for pointers.

Incidentally, knowing how to ask questions also makes it easier for the
experts (if we can be considered such) to answer them:

-Roberto

--
Roberto Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr