Re: Stupid newbie question...

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:12:51PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:
> A good alternative is to run Windows under Linux.
>
> VMWare is reported to run Windows under Linux at near native speed
> (the converse is not the case tho)
>
> QEmu creates a virtual machine too, and is open source.  Probably not
> as good (yet) as VMWare.
>
> I personally hate dual-boot.

I also hate dual boot, but VMWare is not Free Software, and I really
like Free as in speach. Dual boot is a safety precaution during the
transition to Free.

To the OP (original poster): Debian is definitely the way to go, but be
enthusiastic, with caution. You will find that you cannot get any useful
advice from friends who are Windows gurus, or from clerks in your local
computer store, or articles in your local newspaper. But we are here.
We (almost all of us) really enjoy helping newbies. But none of us are
paid to answer your questions, so when you are cranky because something
isn't working, take a deep breath and slow down before you post you problem.

More specifically, the newest version of the Debian installer handles setting
up dual boot almost automatically, but first you need to purchase and install
a second hard drive. To do this with any version of Windows, you need to have
your existing HD be the 'master' drive and the new HD be the 'slave'. Otherwise
Windows won't work. Don't worry about what 'master' and 'slave' mean; these
are terms used on the little slip of paper that is packed with the new HD.
Once you have done this and seen Windows boot with the second HD installed,
you are ready to start installing Debian Sarge. It should go without a hitch.
If not, ask here first.

And expect to be told to go look for answers by Googleing. Yes, do your own
research, but when you don't know even the search terms to type into Google
here is the place to come for pointers.

Read about Free Software Foundation. Become part of the Future. You're welcome.

And a last note: on this list it is preferred that you include only the parts
of the original on which you are directly commenting, and that your comment
be put below the original text. This is called 'bottom posting'. Do this and
your email is much easier to read in the archives, by the next newbie who has
the same question. (This is kind of a hybrid bottom post.)