Re: Setting up sound - alsa config

I have a 2.6.7 kernel running on a compaq presario laptop. The sound card driver support
is built into kernel. Running alsa-conf complains no pci sound cards can be found. I am
copying relevant parts of kernel-config, dmesg and lspci. Can someone point me to Sound
configuration or simply tell what I am doing wrong. I did not enable OSS as thats how the
kernel-help advises.

CONFIG_SOUND=y

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
# CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER is not set
# CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS is not set
# CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS is not set
# CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set

#
# PCI devices
#
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=y
CONFIG_SND_ALI5451=y

Part of the dmesg is copied below:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon May 17 14:31:44 2004 UTC).
ALSA device list:
  #0: ALI 5451 at 0x8400, irq 5

lspci output is copied here:

0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller
Audio Device (rev 02)

Thanks