Re: RAID 1 : DEBIAN (WOODY) b2.4 - compatible Parallel ATA disk / compatible hardware RAID 1 controller

Hi Alvin,
Thanks again for your help.

OK, suppose I forget hardware RAID then and just use IDE drives
running off separate IDE controllers.

That Highpoint card is in fact not a RAID card, it is an IDE
controller. It comes with Linux source, but I don't know what to do
with that source. If I plug the card in and attach an IDE drive,
DEBIAN b2.4 doesn't "see" the drive. So, I don't really know where to
start in terms of compiling the code and getting it "into" DEBIAN.

I reckon I'd have the same challenges if I used another ATA disk
controller e.g. if I went with:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/controllersandiocards/productView.htm?quicklinx=2PNW

So, any pointers as to where I'd start? The readme that comes with the
Highpoint source says:

"2. Build the driver
---------------------
  1) Install kernel source package and building tools.

     You shall use same configuration for the kernel and the driver.
     Otherwise the driver may be unable to load or work abnormally.

     If you are using stock kernel, obtain the configuration in your Linux
     distribution (e.g. the kernel configuration file for Red Hat stock kernel
     can be found under "configs" directory in kernel source tree). Copy the
     configuration file to <your-kernel-source-dir>/.config and setup the
     kernel headers using "make oldconfig" and "make dep" commands before you
     build the driver.

     Please refer to the documents in your Linux distribution for kernel
     configuration.

     If the kernel contains built-in IDE support for HPT302 controller,
     you must disable the kernel support before using this driver. You can
     either rebuild a kernel without HPT302 IDE support, or use boot parameters
     like "hdx=noprobe" to disable the built-in driver.

  2) Extract the driver files to somewhere.

  3) Build the driver (example):

        # make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10
"

Does this sound sensible? Realistic? What one would expect to do?
Thanks, Jim.