[OT] Any quick pointers on GIMP scripting?

Yargh, this has to be the worst job ever. A client has landed a rush job on us in that they need about 6GB of TIFF files (from scanned documents) converted into OCR'd PDF's within the next 3-4 days. Yay.

The problem is the images we've been given are utter cack. Firstly, because of Kodak's seeming inability to produce decent drivers, the pages are inexplicably surrounded by huge black borders. Because the papers are all of different sizes and aspect ratios, there is no way I can do an ImageMagick/IrfanView batch crop on them. I found the GIMP's autocrop tool worked perfectly on the sample images I downloaded to my home machine, so I've set about making a batch process script for it.

Secondly, as well as mixed borders, we also have mixed TIFF formats. Most of the images are in standard 2-colour Group4 fax compression, but they're interleaved with 256 colour LZW TIFF's and 24bit colour JPEG TIFF's.

So I'm frantically trying to come up with a script-fu for GIMP that can take all of this into account. I'm currently attempting to use the glob plugin to take care of the fact we have around 200 directories full of images (so it'll process /path/to/images/*/*.tif), although I'm not sure if the glob in GIMP 2.2.0 supports this (although I'll have access to 2.2.2 at work).

Secondly, what is a drawable? I've seen vague references to it in the script-fu guides I've skimmed over, but I am at a loss to see where they fit into the bigger picture. Do I need to convert a file into a drawable, run the autocrop on that, and then pipe that into an image somehow?

Thirdly, does anyone know if there's some way to specify a "save this TIFF in the same format/colour depth you opened it in" option? If not, I can save all output as full colour LZW's and let Adobe Capture do the resampling, but it's going to cost a fortune in discspace and I doubt the client will be happy either.

Sorry to sound like a complete I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing, but I probably don't I'm chowing my way through HOWTO's in between trying to write the script as we speak, but would greatly appreciate any advice the community could give me, if only to be able to get to bed before the sun comes up Yay for still working at 5am

P.S. if anyone has any other suggestions for applications that'll batch remove arbitary black borders (be they Linux or Windows, although I don't have the power to buy stuff myself) they too would be welcome.