[Fwd: Re: ssh session to a computer with a non-routable ip]

this has been suggested to me, but it doesnt quite work, although i
believe the concept has merit.

Try this:

unroutablebox$ ssh -L 22:localhost:33333 routableuser@routablebox

routablebox$ ssh -p 33333 -o  HostKeyAlias=unroutablebox unroutableuser@locahost