Re: Kernel Upgrade?

Max escribió:

Dear All,

Is it possible to change the Linux kernel in a Debian installation without having to do a complete reinstall?

I have e version ok Knoppix to hand so I'm feeling quite brave. I read a vague report that the kernel is just an ordinary file in some specific location, and it's possible to copy the old kernel to a backup directory for safe keeping, put a new kernel in said specific location, reboot and presto!

Finally, is there anything I should be aware of before changing the
kernel?  The only reason prompting me to change the kernel is that I have
a bit of software the documentation of which states that the kernel should
be v2.4 or later.  For instance, does a change in kernel usually go hand
in hand with changing some other part of a system?

Regards,
I would like to see in Knoppix an automatic Kernel update function, similar to hardware detection in Knoppix (this is, copy the configurations and preferences from the old kernel and copy them to the new one - i.e. filesystem types, alsa configuration, cups configuration, gimp-print-drivers and so on).

Regards.