Re: es1371 unloads itself?

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:51:29 -0500
Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> wrote:

> Seems unlikely, but on my Sarge system, I played a movie using vlc,
> and another using totem.  When I tried to play a clip using totem an
> hour or so later, I got the infamous "sox: Can't open output file
> '/dev/dsp': No such device" error.  A search of Google Groups turned
> up the possibility that my card driver had unloaded, and it turned
> out that modprobing es1371 fixed the problem.
>
> Why and how would es1371 unload itself?

I don't know the answer, but here are some discussions:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/276455

http://kerneltrap.org/node/1930

One place (maybe one of those) mentioned turning off PNP and/or moving
cards to different slots, both of which I've done to solve NIC problems,
but never found necessary for sound (I usually just left it not working
whenever sound refused to cooperate).

Whatever handles on-demand module loading seems to be falling flat on
that module (it used to be called kerneld, and may still be).

> (Can we go five-for-five on nobody even responding to one of my
> questions?)

That's primarily why I tried to answer despite not having a clue. Been
there, bunches of times.

--
"Until we had this concept of Web services, software on the Internet
couldn't talk to other software on the Internet."