es1371 unloads itself?

Seems unlikely, but on my Sarge system, I played a movie using vlc,
and another using totem.  When I tried to play a clip using totem an
hour or so later, I got the infamous "sox: Can't open output file
'/dev/dsp': No such device" error.  A search of Google Groups turned
up the possibility that my card driver had unloaded, and it turned
out that modprobing es1371 fixed the problem.

Why and how would es1371 unload itself?

(Can we go five-for-five on nobody even responding to one of my
questions?)
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading