sata drives

I am trying t o install debian testing to my new laptop, which has sata haddrives, and I miserably fail when partitioning.. Installer notifies that 'no partionable media found'

I tried to boot with:
linux26

Any how I manage to boot with knoppix3.7 live cd just fine and the harddrives are mounted there, so some how this is doable.. (I have winXP on one partition still, so I know that is is mounted, I can browse through the directories.)

My computer has:
# Intel® Pentium® M processor 760 2.0 GHz, 533 MHz frontside bus with speedstep
# 80 GB (Serial ATA 5400rpm) hard disk drive
and I assume the chipset is but can verify that right now: Intel 915PM

Any one has any clues how to proceed ?

lsmod in knoppix listed following:

via_agp                11264  0
sworks_agp             10784  0
sis_agp                 9732  0
nvidia_agp              9628  0
intel_mch_agp          11664  0
intel_agp              21664  0
efficeon_agp           10016  0
ati_agp                10252  0
amd64_agp              12488  0
amd_k7_agp              9612  0
ali_agp                 9088  0
agpgart 30380 11 via_agp,sworks_agp,sis_agp,nvidia_agp,intel_mch
_agp,intel_agp,efficeon_agp,ati_agp,amd64_agp,amd_k7_agp,ali_agp
autofs4                18948  1
af_packet              19848  0
r8169                  19720  0
crc32                   8064  1 r8169
parport_pc             38464  0
parport                35912  1 parport_pc
8250                   37992  0
serial_core            21504  1 8250
tsdev                   9536  0
evdev                  11008  0
usbhid                 40512  0
ds                     17412  2
yenta_socket           20736  0
pcmcia_core            58308  2 ds,yenta_socket
thermal                14856  0
processor              20032  1 thermal
fan                     6916  0
button                  9104  0
battery                11908  0
ac                      7556  0
rtc                    13768  0
cloop                  16128  1
sbp2                   24712  0
ohci1394               33028  0
ieee1394              302904  2 sbp2,ohci1394
ub                     17564  0
usb_storage            61760  0
ohci_hcd               21508  0
uhci_hcd               31120  0
usbcore                99684  7 usbhid,ub,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd
tmscsim                26560  0
ide_scsi               17028  1

TIA,
duke