Re: debian on sata disks

On Saturday 29 January 2005 02:35 am, Schelstraete Bart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install Debian on sata disks. With the 'normal' 2.4.8 kernel,
> this works, but it was giving disk kernel errors.
> When I then upgrade the kernel to the latest 2.4 series (2.4.7-2-686),
> the machine doesn't boot anymore and is giving the error message:
>
> --
> pivot_root: No such file or directory
> --
>
> Same problem with the 2.6 kernel.
> I added the normal sata driver to the /etc/mkinitrd/modules file, remade
> the init image, but same results.
>
> I'm using an Intel (6) sata disk. (not supported yet?) Is there somebody
> who can help me with this? (on a 'compaq/hp' machine)
>

> Bart
>

> --
> Schelstraete Bart <bart@schelstraete.org>

Bart,

I am using a vanilla 2.6.10 kernel with a Seagate SATA drive and Silicon Image
controller. I ran into the pivot root problem when I used an initrd image.
So, I changed my config so that all necessary modules were compiled into the
kernel and didn't use an initrd image. I made sure that my filesystem was
compiled into the kernel and I had SCSI selected and compiled into the
kernel. Then I went into SCSI low level devices (using xconfig) and selected
Serial ATA (SATA) support to be compiled into the kernel. Then I selected
Silicon Image SATA support to be compiled into the kernel. I recompiled then
I was able to boot the new kernel. You should be able to select the correct
support for your controller. Use lspci to determine which controller you are
using.

HTH,
Tom