Re: performance problem

tobias wrote:

Hello everybody,

recently I decided to switch from fedora to Debian Sarge. The installation via the netinstall disk image went through smoothly and I am a happy new Debain user now.

But: there is a strange performance problem which wasn't there before. Using Gnome or KDE every couple of seconds the mouse poiner "stumbles", regardless if I use a USB or ps/2 device. There is also a short delay moving windows or even displaying text while typing. Moreover smooth playing of mp3s is not possible - seems to be the same problem.

Using top or similar programs I wasn't able to identify a process which eats up my system performance. The CPU has something around 5%, load average around 0.4.

Has anybody encountered similar problems? I would appreciate hints how to deal with this problem. Or could it be that the hardware is too old? It's a 700MHz Athlon, 512MB... should be able to play mp3, I think. On fedora, there was a 2.4 kernel, now it's 2.6.8. Naively, I would expected a performance gain.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Tobias

I recently did a debian install using debootstrap, from another linux partition. Somehow, during the base-config setup, it failed to put my 'localhost 127.0.0.1' in /etc/hosts. I finally tracked this down when I was setting up my printer and getting errors popping up about not being able to find the server. So, I started probing around and stumbled on this key missing file .. if you've ever had this happen, you know it results in a super slow response to everything.

So, take a quick look at /etc/hosts and make sure your local network name and number are specified. (man hosts, for more info)

If this isn't it, then I don't know.

paul