Re: [Repost] questions on installation CDs

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:10:16AM +0100, Leonardo Francalanci wrote:
> I have to repost this because nobody answered.
>
> I don't know if it is allowed, so if it is not please forgive me this time.

Hi Leonardo,
The cd's are composed based upon popularity and usefulness. Thus the
first cd contains essential packages need for basic installation. The
last cd (14) contains the least used packages. If you get cd #1 and cd
#2, this will allow you to install a basic system with X windows and
gnome or kde. If you need more packages, the easiest way (if you have
internet connectivity) is to use 'apt-get' or other installation
programs.  This is because it is not normally useful to know what cd a
packages is in. The great benefit of Debian, is the package management
system. It takes care of getting and installing the packages so that you
dont have to search for the needed items.

> "Everyone should fetch the non-US variant for private use;"
>
> 2) Where can I download the non-US variant of the "testing" distribution
> (using jigdo or fetching the whole CD)?
>

> Thank you in advance and sorry if this wasn't the right place to ask...

this is the correct place to ask. Enjoy!

-Kev

--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||