Re: Java SDK 1.5.0 and Debian

On Thursday 27 January 2005 23:57, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> YOu could try the following (this is from my notes which I slightly adapted
> from a previous posting on this list -- unfortunately I no longer remember
> where, sorry!
>
> 1) Download the J2SE JDK from sun
>  Download the option under Linux Platform that says self-extracting file
> (the one whose filename ends in .bin), not the RPM one.

DId this. Tarball was not offered

> 2) 2.1 Add deb sources for unstable
>
> *   *   *   [snip]
>
> 6) Create the Java deb package
>
> Then create the deb package of the Sun's Java installer by using make-jpkg
> In this example the Java 1.5.0 JRE is used. make-jpkg
jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.bin   (Works better as root)

Do this INSTEAD of running the .bin!!! This will create a deb. Would not let
me do it as root. Instead ran as a non-root user:
fakeroot make-jpkg ....
Got a lot of permission errors on various files already on the system but the
thing ran.

> 8) Install the Java deb package
>
> Install the just created deb package. Example:
>
> dpkg -i sun-j2sdk1.5_1.5.0+final_i386.deb
>
> Note: Name of JDK is sun-j2sdk1.5

No problems at all!

> 9) Now install package with Debian-specific things that corresponds to the
> .deb created. Example:
>
> apt-get install sun-j2sdk1.5debian

NOW, this will run, no sweat. This ties up the loose ends!
I had no errors at all. Nice.
that should solve any dependency issues left.

> 11) Setup path etc

Add or modify any symlinks to the java, java-rmi.cgi, etc. to point to the new
jdk installed.

Modify references to the jdkhome such as in profile and Netbeans run scripts
if you are using that, etc, etc. A lot of steps but absolutely painless.

Thanks.