Re: Installing Firefox

disciple@exis.net wrote:
Thanks Bob.  I've actually been having problems installing EVERYTHING!!!
hahahahaha....  :o)  I've looked on the debian site to find packages for
programs like OpenOffice and have not been able to find them.  So what
I've been doing is going to the website of the app that I want and then
downloading it.  Then once I have it...  trying to install.  How do I find
what I'm looking for?

Thanks for

Your're welcome. Please keep the discussion onto the list so it could help other too.

You are having problems since you are following the wrong path.

The core utility to install packages on Debian is apt-get or some of it's frontends (aptitude or synaptic).

apt-get will pull off the network the packages you need including any packages needed by it and install them in the proper way on your system.

How did you install your Debian system in the first place ?

Assuming your distro is not totally broken and that you have a working network connection if your /etc/apt/sources.list contains something like:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

as root you should issue:

apt-get update

after which imagine you want to install the ethereal package you would issue:

apt-get install ethereal

(man apt-get for more info)

also to look for potential packages you could use

apt-cache search rxvt

If you have aptitude (console) or synaptic (X) installed you will have a graphical frontend for all of that.

HTH,
Bob

Bob