Re: Accessability problem/opportunity

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 04:05:57AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> Seeker5528 wrote:
> >On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:27:22 -0500 Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >Test driving may be a problem since you would need a braille display,
> >but there is brltty http://www.mielke.cc/brltty/ and a Debian based
> >mini distrobution built around braille and speech
> >http://www.brlspeak.net/ that may be something to look at.
> >
> Thanks for the links.  These will make for good research.
>
> >Also current versions of Gnome and KDE both have accessibility
> >features available screen readers, magnifiers, etc...
> >
> Strangely I don't use either one of these, but I think I can add one in
> for a few days.  I guess WindowMaker needs some features added.
>
> >Emacspeak always sounded interesting to me, but I never got around to
> >checking it out.
> >
> Same here.
>
> Thanks!  This is some good ideas on what to shoot for next.
Hi Tom,
I use festival with mutt to pipe my email to the speakers so I can hear
it (just my lazyness, but if I couln't read it or had difficulty,
itd help).  Also, on Gnome, I use the 'high contrast' theme, as some folks
have color blindness (not me though). There is also a 'visual bell'
option for most WM's (flashes the screen). Knoppix has options for using
brltty's. There is also the 'keyboard' mouse options. there are a few
onscreen keyboards - gok for gnome. I used it once when I had a keyboard
problem in X. Maybe checkout the debian mailing list for accessibility!
HTH
-Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||