Gnome Feel & Operation..

I have just installed Ubuntu, after reading quite a bit about it.. (However,
that's slightly off topic!) anyway, After using KDE for several years, when
installing Debian (& Ubuntu) the reason for having the default Desktop as
Gnome installed, without the option of either Gnome or KDE.
**Personally** Gnome does not really sit comfortably with me and it's
difficult to find either configuration or application items..

Is there a reason why I had to physically install KDE after installation to
use it, as apposed to having a choice of desktop?
--
Regards - Stef VK5HSX
          Adelaide, Sth Australia