Re: X-Serving Multiple Virtual Console

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, David A. Cobb wrote:

Do I need to configure something so that XDB is prepared for a :1 display?

You mean xdm (or kdm)?

Add entries to the Xserver file, following the existing format. Here is the pertinent part of my Xservers file:

:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0  -dpi 100 vt2
:1 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1  -dpi 100 vt3

Beware that constant swapping of virtual consoles running X can cause a the console to become unusable or even lock the box. I've seen this with many different video cards on many different boxes over the last 11 years. Swapping periodically during the day should not be an issue.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.