Re: X-Serving Multiple Virtual Console

David A. Cobb wrote:

David Dorward wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:28:44 -0500, David A. Cobb <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
I know that X is built to serve multiple displays, and even a
multi-headed workstation.  Is it possible to have VIRTUAL displays -
":1.0", etc. and somehow switch among them?

startx -- :1

(Ctrl+Alt+F8)
Well, Ctl+Alt+F8 ==> black and unresponsive screen.
Ctl+Alt+F7 did get me back, undisturbed, to my current session.

Do I need to configure something so that XDB is prepared for a :1 display?

From your original X, Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2, etc) to hop out of X, then log in as the second user. From there, run "startx -- :1", which will start a second X session on Ctrl-Alt-F8. Ctrl-Alt-F7 will toggle back to the first user's X session; Ctrl-Alt-F8 to the second user's X session, etc. You can add even more X sessions if you like.

Depending on what graphical login manager you're using (if any), it can be configured to start multiple login screens at boot-up. For example, to get KDM to have two logins, you'd need to tinker with /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. I've done it before, but forget the exact tweak.

--
Kent West
Technology Support