Re: Exim only listening on localhost

On (26/01/05 16:13), Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26.01.2005 at 10:02 -0600, Nick Miller wrote:
>
> >  I was wondering why my installation of exim4 is only listening on
> > localhost?
>
> It does this by default, for security reasons (anti-relay etc.)
>
> > When I do an nmap on localhost i can see that port 25 is open
> > and I can send email. But when I reference it by it's eth0 IP address
> > port 25 is closed and I get a connection refused. I am sure one of you
> > has had this issue.
>
> Do you want this machine to act as a mail relay for other systems?  If
> not, then what you're suggesting doesn't make sense.  If that's what you
> want, then you may want to look at the relay_from_hosts options in the
> exim4 config files.
I may be off target but are you looking to receive mail through port 25?
if you
$ dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
you'll be asked to answer what sort of setup you want.  I use "send mail
using smarthost and receive mail using fetchmail"

smarthost is your ISP's outgoing mailserver SMTP

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...